We are so excited to continue with The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. The Playful Pioneers curriculum is also available for children who are older (K-2). Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter K Unit on September 18th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter K Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Kitten Whisker Lacing: Punch 1-3 holes on either side of the kittens’ noses on the provided printable (printed on cardstock). Provide trimmed pipe cleaners and let your child lace them to create whiskers for the kitten.
- Lock + Key: Provide various locks + keys for your child to explore and lock/unlock. You can also just use your key ring and run around your house/garage trying to figure out which key unlocks which door/item (this is what we will be doing!).
- Key Craft: Print the provided printable and give your child a glue stick and pieces of foil. Let them glue the pieces to create a shiny silver key.
- Katy Snow Writing: To go along with Katy and the Big Snow, spread shaving cream on a table or counter and let your child practice their letters/name in the “snow”.
- Snow Dough: There are two different recipes pinned on our Pinterest board. Create a small world or sensory bin filled with animals or items from Katy and the Big Snow for your child to play with and enjoy.
- All other extra activities are detailed in our PDF or on the Pinterest board for this unit!
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· shaving cream
· corn starch
· food coloring
· dish soap
· snow animals or other toys
· pipe cleaners
· tin foil
· vegetable oil
· almond milk or milk
· locks + keys
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterKUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on September 18th!