We are so excited to take part in The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. The Playful Pioneers curriculum is also available for children who are older (K-2). Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter I Unit on June 5th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter I Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Sticky I + Insects: Print the Letter I card found in our PDF and let your little one trace it with honey or agave. Find a place outside to put the card and come back throughout the day to see the insects that come to enjoy the treat!
- Fingerprint Insect Jar: Print the jar outline (from our Pinterest board) onto a piece of paper and help your child create fingerprint insects. I pinned a bunch of examples to Pinterest.
- Ice Writing: Have your child practice their letters or writing their name with a piece of ice on construction paper. They can also just use the ice to draw creative pictures!
- Marshmallow Igloo: Print the Igloo page in our PDF and let your child glue mini marshmallows to it in order to create an igloo.
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· washable tempera paint
· mini marshmallows
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterIUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on June 5th!