We are so excited to take part in The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter F Unit on April 24th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter F Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Sort Flower Parts: I will provide various flower petals, leaves and stems for her to sort.
- Color Changing Flowers: We will be placing white carnations in various colored water to watch as the flowers change colors!
- Water Bead Fishing: I will be creating a “fishing” activity where there will be a sensory bin filled with various water beads. She will have different tools to scoop and retrieve the “fishies”.
- Salt + Watercolor Rainbow Fish: There is a tutorial on our Pinterest board for this unit. We will be using the outline of the rainbow fish that is also pinned on the board.
- Family Tree Craft: Print out the tree trunk printable in our PDF and let your child use their hand dipped in tempera paint to create “handprint leaves” on the tree. Cut a paper towel cardboard tube into small rings. Bend the rings into leaf shapes. Next let your child add leaves to the tree by stamping the cardboard in paint. Add a family member’s name inside each leaf.
- Mama + Baby Match: I’ll be providing different mama + baby creatures and letting her pair them all together.
- My House Scavenger Hunt: Print off the scavenger hunt in our PDF and hide objects/treats at the specified places. Let your child run around and check off their list while collecting the prizes.
- Fish Bubble Counting: Print off the numbered fish pages and give your child dot markers, circle stickers or pony beads. Let them add the correct number of “bubbles” above each fish.
- Fish Craft + Labeling: Print the fish bowl printable in our PDF on blue paper. Let your child press their hand into tempera paint and place their handprint sideways in the bowl to create a fish (example on our pinterest board). Let them add a googly eye and rocks (beans) to the fish and fish bowl. They can also add seaweed or anything else they want! Give them dot stickers or pieces of tape with various fish body parts written on them. Help your child correctly label parts of the fish.
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
· Fish Out of Water
· Ten Little Fish
· Nature Anatomy
· The Rainbow Fish
· Fish Eyes
· Fish is Fish
· The Tiny Seed
· Little Fur Family
· The Family Book
· All Kinds of Families
· The Littlest Family’s Big Day
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· washable tempera paint
· cardboard paper towel tube
· various flowers
· white flowers (like carnations)
· white glue
· poster board
· water beads
· liquid watercolors / food coloring
· baby animals / mama animals/ family figures
· dot markers / dot stickers / pony beads
· googly eye
· dried beans
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterFUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on April 24th!