We are so excited to take part in The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. Right now you guys can get $5 off of the curriculum if you choose to purchase it by using the code SPRING at checkout. Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter D Unit on March 27th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter D Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Black Dot Process Art: Give your child a large piece of paper, black dots, and any other art supplies. See what they create from the black dots.
- Fill 10 Black Dots: Place a piece of contact paper on a table and draw the outline of ten different circles with a black sharpie. Give your child black water (liquid watercolors) + a pipette and let them count how many drops of water it takes to fill each outline and turn it into a black dot.
- Harry’s Dog Spots: Using the free Harry the Dog printable, give your child black and white tempera paint + qtips. Let them add the correct color spots to Harry – black spot’s when he was clean and white spots when he was dirty.
- Dirty Dog Wash: Grab two bins and fill one with mud + toy dogs and the other with soapy water. Let your child clean the dogs using toothbrushes, sponges, etc.
- Giant Donuts: Cut a large donut out of cardboard and let your child paint or decorate it however they would like.
- Hatch Dragons: Place baking soda, toy dragons and water inside of balloons and freeze them overnight. You can also add food coloring or liquid watercolors to the water in the balloon if you want. Cut the frozen “dragon eggs” out of the balloons and place them on a towel lined tray. Let your child squirt vinegar + water mixture on the eggs to watch them fizz and hatch!
- Duck Feet Art: Using the free Duck Feet template, cut out two duck feet for your child out of cardstock or cardboard. Attach them to your child’s feet with tape and let them step in paint. Allow them to walk around a large piece of paper to create footprint art.
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· washable tempera paint
· baking soda
· dog figures
· dragon figures (will be using the fairies for our “F” Unit)
· liquid watercolors
· yellow art items (pom poms, tissue paper, etc) and feathers
· contact paper
· black dots
· paper roll
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterDUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on March 27th!