We are so excited to take part in The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter C Unit on March 13th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter C Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Chicken Noisemaker: Detailed instructions can be found on this unit’s Pinterest board.
- Mixed Media Chick: Using the provided printable, let your child glue yellow items or feathers to their chick. You can also provide a googly eye for them to attach.
- Rain In A Jar: Fill a clear glass cup or jar with water and add shaving cream (clouds) on top. Let your child squirt blue food coloring onto the clouds and then watch a it “rains” in the water below.
- Cloud Process Art: Squirt black and white tempera paint on a piece of paper and let your child use their hands to swirl and smear the paint to create clouds.
- Hatching Chicks: Let your child paint the inside of the provided egg template yellow. Either draw, paint or attach items to create a chick’s face. Glue the edges of an egg-shaped piece of brown construction paper over the egg and then let your child “hatch” the chick. See the unit Pinterest board for a visual example.
- Cupcake Shop Pretend Play: I will be creating a fun cupcake shop set up with fake cupcake doughs, toppings (beads, sequins, etc) and some scented zdough for her to use.
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· washable tempera paint
· pom poms
· playdough (we will be using sensory zdough)
· googly eyes
· solo cup
· construction paper
· yellow art items (pom poms, tissue paper, etc) and feathers
· shaving cream
· food coloring
· items for a pretend play cupcake shop
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterCUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on March 13th!