We are so excited to take part in The Peaceful Preschool! The “Letter A” unit can always be downloaded for free if you are interested in seeing if this curriculum would be a good fit for your family. You can get 15% off of the curriculum if you choose to purchase it before 3/1 by using the code APPLE at checkout. Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
I previously explained that we would be stretching the 1 week units into two weeks. For details on how that will work and why I made that decision, please check out the Planning + Prep Post that I wrote. Also, check out our Gentle Preschool Schedule if you are curious about how we structure our days.
We will begin the Letter B Unit on February 27th and a daily calendar for the two weeks is listed below:
Monday + Tuesday activities are taken directly from The Peaceful Preschool curriculum. Wednesdays + Thursdays are “loose learning days” where we will have a few planned activities and add in other unit-themed books. Fridays will be for exploring our community and taking applicable field trips. Activity details for the loose learning days can be found on the Letter B Pinterest Board. I have created free printables for all applicable activities so that it can be “print + go”. The download link for that file can be found below. Also included in the file are 3 Part Cards, Stamp It Poke It Write It, and a Unit Bible Verse Page.
Some details on this unit’s activities:
- Blueberry Sort/Blueberry + Waffle Transfer: Let your child sort blueberries by size onto the berry basket printable. Once they are finished, let them use tongs (or their fingers) to transfer the berries into the squares of a waffle. Enjoy a blueberry waffle breakfast together!
- Blueberry Process Art: Using the provided printable, let your child use blue pom poms + blue tempera paint to create a basket full of berries.
- Blueberry Pie Pretend Play: Provide a fun pretend play set up. I will be creating a “bakery” and will include blueberry scented zdough for her to use.
- Textured Bear Craft: Let your child add textured material to the bear printable provided. I will be giving her brown rice, but you can use anything on hand!
- Butterfly Symmetry Art: Print + cut out the butterfly printable. Let your child paint half of the butterfly and then fold it in half and press the wings together. This will create a beautiful, symmetric painting on both sets of wings.
- Boats Sensory Bin: I will be creating a fun sensory bin filled with boats and other objects for the girls to play with and explore.
- 3 Part Cards: For those of you wondering about the 3 Part Cards, they are a Montessori activity and I used to include them in all our other units. Many parents requested them, so I started adding them in again. Basically, you try to have your child match the split pieces to the whole card. I use our table pocket chart and put all of the whole cards in. Then she picks up words and pictures and matches them. Surprisingly she was able to do this a year ago. It’s a wonderful way to begin introducing them to not only pictures, but corresponding words as well!
The Unit Bible Verse is provided in The Peaceful Preschool curriculum and they suggest decorating it to create a book for the 26 units. In order to make this easier, I will create two cards for each unit. Simply print the page on cardstock and cut out the two pages. Let your child decorate them however they would like and then laminate the pages back to back. This will create a letter flashcard page for each unit and you can even keep track of them by punching a hole and adding them to a book ring.
Regardless if you are doing The Peaceful Preschool with us, or just using our free printables, I wanted to provide a list of the books that coordinate with our planned activities:
Lastly, below are the supplies you will need for the handful of extra activities listed above. I encourage you to check out the post I wrote about our Minimalist Homeschool Supplies if you are interested in what supplies we use and why!
· washable tempera paint
· juice box
· blue playdough (we will be using sensory zdough)
· blue pom poms
· brown rice
· items for a boat themed sensory bin (boats, blue liquid watercolors, etc)
If you have any questions, please leave them below or contact me. If you enjoy using our curriculum and you have a desire to say thank you, send me an email or a cup of coffee! Our resources will always remain free, but I love getting feedback and hearing about the ways in which our curriculum has blessed other families. We are excited to begin the unit and hope you will join us! To connect with other families + see activity details from people participating, don’t forget to tag your photos with the unique hashtag #LetterBUnit and the tags #simplylearningkids #thepeacefulpreschool. See you on February 27th!