I am so excited to finally share our Little Blue Truck Preschool Curriculum! This 2 week unit will begin on May 9th and is a preview for our preschool curriculum that we will be using for the 2016-2017 year. Over the course of a school year, we will be exploring some of the most well-loved children’s books out there. Head over and read a detailed explanation of our Free Preschool Curriculum if you haven’t gotten the chance to yet!
Everything that you could possibly need to know to participate with us is written in the Little Blue Truck Literature Unit Study file, which can be downloaded for free at the end of this post. It also contains over 35 pages of printable activities. A few helpful tips that I wanted to share about preparing the files:
· Make sure you select “shrink to fit”, “scale to fit”, etc when printing. I still have not figured out why PDFs do this, but if you do not select that when printing, your pages will be cut off!
· I print everything onto cardstock. The sturdiness works best for us and it also creates better laminated items.
· Speaking of laminating, I laminate anything that I would like to reuse in the future. I plan to repeat this curriculum with my youngest daughter and I also love having book activities available whenever we don’t have a curriculum going on (summer and holidays). A lot of these would make great traveling activities for a car or plane ride as well!
· To save paper and laminating pouches, I print activities back to back. I would only recommend this if you are using cardstock, as the colors will show through if you use regular printer paper.
· A corner rounding punch is amazing for laminated items. Once you trim something you laminate, the corners are very sharp. This can be dangerous and painful. I use a corner rounding punch on everything.
Here a the few key supplies that I highly recommend and honestly could not live without. These are not required to participate, but truly save you a lot of time, energy and money. Below are affiliate links for your convenience.
The four linked items above are the exact ones I own and I bought them all from Amazon. The laminator and pouches are extremely inexpensive and really save a lot of money. You can re-use printables over and over again. I have had mine for a year and a half and I just bought my second pack of pouches this week. They last forever! I am the world’s worst “straight line” cutter, so the paper trimmer saves my sanity and knocks out a lot of time I could be wasting. If you are serious about doing projects and activities at home with your kids, I really recommend these four things.
Finally, below are the Supplies + Resources for our Little Blue Truck unit:
Affiliate links are included for your convenience
Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
Target Age Range: 3-4 year olds – this does not mean children younger or older cannot participate, it just means that the stated range is where I focused when planning! For full details, check out our Preschool Curriculum post.
Items From Around The House
+ ziploc bag
+ disposable cups
+ rubbing alcohol
+ paper coffee filter
+ oatmeal and/or sand
+ toilet paper roll
+ pie or cake pan (or something similar)
+ paper clips
+ jumbo push pin (or something similar)
+ string or yarn
+ marshmallows or pom moms
+ play dough
+ paint stick/stirrer
+ kiddie car, outdoor kid’s vehicle, tricycle etc (completely optional)
+ farm animal toys (like this or this)
+ chocolate pudding
+ farm animal crackers
+ mini pie crusts
+ optional: crushed oreos, other toppings
+ construction paper
+ washable tempera paints
+ liquid watercolors
+ watercolor paper
+ dry erase crayons or markers
+ book rings (.75-1″ are great)
+ velcro dots
+ 3/4″ & 1″ circle paper punch (this is the only brand I recommend – one of mine was really inexpensive at Hobby Lobby with a coupon!)
+ alphabet stamps
Other Optional Items
Below is the Little Blue Truck Literature Unit Study file, which contains the details, activities and printables that we will be using. Additional instructions and optional activities can be found on our Little Blue Truck Pinterest Board. A big thank you to my talented friend Alfa from Olive Design Co.! She hand painted the Blue and Dump images found in our printable files. We are so excited and hope to have you join us on May 9th!